Section 508 Compliance
You would not build a building on your campus without a handicap ramp, so why would you buy student success software that is not accessible to all students? Aviso Retention is 100% Section 508 and WCAG 2.1 compliant.
Consider the facts....
"11% of undergraduate students in the US have a disability. 70% of all major universities in the US were found to have poor web accessibility."
National Center for Education Statistics
"16.4% of students with disabilities have completed a bachelors degree VS. 34.6% of students without a disability who finish a bachelors degree"
U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics
These statistics are alarming and show the lack of support institutions have historically given to students with disabilities. With the growth of the digital campus course programs and loads of online material that is inaccessible to students with disabilities, institutions are significantly reducing the ability of the disabled to confer and compete with peers. This impacts the entirety of the institutional culture by way of how you work with, and are a conduit for, the success of students that need it most.
Aviso Retention eliminates risk associated to accessibility compliance for our partner institutions. This stuff is important to us, so we make it top of mind when developing new software.
Why Accessibility is mission critical
- The Office of Civil Rights (OCR) in the Department of Justice (DOJ) has adopted WCAG2.1 as the standards that the federal government and it's agencies (higher education) need to comply with.
- Studies show that creating social mobility mechanisms (in this case, highly accessible software) for disabled peers and students matures institutions culturally. Full system access for everyone is no longer an option, it's an expectation. This aligns with the mission and fundamental beliefs of Aviso retention.
- Equal accessibility for ALL students impacts how the institution is perceived, accredited, and, represents a standard all institutions should hold each other highly accountable to.
What to consider
- Many colleges and universities have introduced undue legal problems for themselves by procuring software that is not 508 Compliant. For a list of Higher Education Accessibility lawsuits, complaints, and settlements, click here.
- When we think about high-levels of ADA compliance, schools must strive beyond meeting the bare minimum to receive government funding, but embrace the requirements that make up WCAG2.1. By complying with Section 508 and WCAG2.1 requirements, institutions can attract and retain their students with disabilities.
- Great institutions provide accessibility for ALL their students, because each student presents opportunity.
Act to Optimize
- From our Development Team to our front line analysts, Aviso stays on the bleeding edge of accessibility compliance innovation, attributed to our deep understanding of the technological needs of higher education.
- Aviso Retention supports your mission of student and peer success for everyone you serve. Choosing Aviso is risk free.
- Aviso Retention is a steward of ADA / WCAG2.1 compliance and represents the only major Student Success Software Platform that measures 100% compliance in all student facing functionality.